Our School Identity
(I) School Philosophy
VISIONGodly women of Excellence with a heart of Love
MISSIONTo educate every girl 1 in a Christian environment 2 in order that she may MASTER, GROW and SERVE 3 in every phase of her life 4 .
We are a school for girls. Every child we have stewardship over is uniquely created by God and is precious
to us. We recognise the need to consider the female psyche in our programmes.
Our ethos and culture is Christian. The values we live by and which we imbue in our girls are that which are
made explicit in the Bible.
The school motto resonates throughout the many generations of MGS girls and embodies the attitude and
motivation which distinguish the alumnae.
Each phase in her life brings a new dimension of understanding, learning and growth; and hence, the
approach to educating her considers all phases of her development. It is our hope that the values, attitudes
and skills instilled in her in MGS will stand her in good stead in the future phases of her life.
MOTTOTo Master 1 , To Grow 2 , To Serve 3
Mastery is defined by excellence and the attitude of excellence in all that the MGS girl does.
An MGS girl shall grow holistically, ―in stature and wisdom, and in favour with God and man. She will
develop the skills for continuous and independent learning which will carry her through her phases of
development and place her confidently in the future world and society she chooses to serve in.
- An MGS girl is not self-serving; she chooses to serve out of gratitude and love. With an outlook beyond herself, she will make a positive impact on her community, her country, the environment and the world.
- Possessing character traits bearing the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22,23)
- Leading God-fearing and purposeful lives with the moral courage to stand up for what is right and persevere through difficulties and uncertain circumstances.
- Doing one‘s best in everything by setting and giving high standards of work and conduct (Philippians 4:8), pushing the boundaries and endeavouring always to do better in order to reach one‘s fullest potential.
- Being a responsible steward of time, talent and resources and exemplary in the performance of tasks and duties.
- Be actively reaching out and touching lives, compassionate and respectful to all one comes into contact with, and embodying the ideals of servant leadership.
(II) School Crest
The change in the school crest was initiated by the Principal Miss Lau Meau Eng (1957-1972) as the old badge in enamel could only be made in England.
The crest was introduced in 1965, but there is no record of who designed it.
(III) School Song
With loving hearts and joyous song we sing to M.G.S.
And tell the fame of that fair name for we can do no less.
We hope that we may honour bring, and heaven ever bless
Our school, the fairest in the land, our own dear M.G.S.
Down through the years our memories will keep a loving place
For friendships made and pleasures shared, and lessons learned apace.
For those who worked and gave their best that we might learn to face
The trials of life with faith and hope and nobly run the race.
And now we're proud to raise the shout and sing of M.G.S.
Lift high her banner, one and all, her name we now profess.
In work and play for honours won, today our hearts confess
The debt we owe, the love we hold for our dear M.G.S.
The MGS House system was first formed in 1932, with four houses named after Methodist pioneers in Singapore: Blackmore, Oldham, Shellabear and Horley. They were later renamed Blackmore , Olson , Lee and Jackson .
About The Four Houses
Blackmore House was named after Miss Sophia Blackmore, founder of MGS and principal from 1887 to 1892. Miss Blackmore was born in 1857 in New South Wales, Australia, and was the first female missionary sent to Singapore by the Methodist Women’s Foreign Missionary Society in 1887. She pioneered education for girls in Singapore, and established two schools, a church and the Nind Home boarding school for girls, which was located at Mount Sophia.
Olson House was named after Miss Mary Olson, who was the principal of both MGS and Fairfield Methodist School from 1905 to 1910. Miss Olson resumed the principalship of MGS from 1926 to 1930. In 1925, MGS moved from Short Street to Mount Sophia where the Olson Building, officially opened by Miss Olson in 1928, still resides today as a conserved heritage site.
Lee House was named after Edwin Ferdinand Lee, who was elected Missionary Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church and The Methodist Church in 1928. Prior to that, he was Pastor of the Wesley Church of Singapore, Straits Settlements, and the Superintendent of the Singapore District of the M.E. Church (1924–28). Beyond Singapore, Bishop Lee’s episcopal leadership spanned Malaysia and the Philippines.
Jackson House was named after Miss Catherine Jackson, who served as principal of MGS in 1920 & 1931. Miss Jackson served as a Methodist missionary on the Malay Peninsula for 36 years, and was among the Methodist missionaries who chose to stay behind in Singapore during the Japanese Occupation from 1942 to 1945. She passed away in 1944 while interned in a Japanese prison camp.